How can I create a password or whatever on WinXP?

Triprajul 13:38 06 May 2010

Greetings:
My wife and I are going on vacation this summer. For security reasons and due to past incidents in our building, my wife wants me to lock up our computer in a trunk so that it can’t be used for any nefarious purposes during our absence. However, I would just like to put some type of password on our computer so that no one can use it during our absence. I use Windows XP(S2) and any advice given is greatly appreciated.

johndrew 14:08 06 May 2010

Why not go to "Control Panel/User Accounts" select the account(s) you want to secure and click on "Create a password". You can create a single password which you can use for each account or a different one for each.

The only password alternative I can think of is to create a password in BIOS click here. However, these can be broken by simply removing/refitting the CMOS battery.

Another way of securing your PC is to remove the HDD and lock it away safely.

Sea Urchin 14:13 06 May 2010

.....and make sure you then don't forget the password when you return from your vacation. You can create a password reset disk (on same screen under Related Tasks - Prevent a Forgotten password) but obviously don't leave that with the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?