how to boot from external fdd or cdrom

rsturbo 12:09 20 Sep 2003

i have bought s/hand sony c1 laptop with no cdrom or fdd i need to boot from ext cdrom or fdd to load the operating system how do i do this (obviously after i have sourced cdrom or fdd or both if needed). the c1 has pcmcia and usb ports built into it

thanks for any help

rsturbo 12:35 20 Sep 2003

stupid question - should i go and buy a pcmcia cdrom or usb - or can't i tell until i connect the device (which is what i think you are saying)

powerless 21:43 20 Sep 2003

Umm...Recent BIOS's you can.

rsturbo 22:32 20 Sep 2003

Doh! read it thoroughly before you comment (was something my english lit. teacher was always saying to me) now i know why. will look in it now

rsturbo 22:47 20 Sep 2003

atapi cdrom drive, diskette drive, hard drive. now with the ports as mentioned earlier in this post; how to i install the operating system with the recovery cd's i have for the laptop

thanks for the posts so far

powerless 22:55 20 Sep 2003

You can boot from USB... click here

rsturbo 23:00 20 Sep 2003

but i need to boot my sony vaio device - this seems to be for new intel boards only

good to see this feature being itroduced should be useful for disk imaging software and hardware

rsturbo 23:04 20 Sep 2003

??

woodchip 23:05 20 Sep 2003

With a second hand comp like you have got you will more than likely only get it to boot from a floppy drive. It will be too old to boot from a cd-Drive. But you still need a CD-Rom drive for the Windows CD after you have loaded CD-Rom Drivers from floppy disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf