Hotmail start charging for accessing thru Outlook

webber_man 14:07 28 Sep 2004

Dunno if you've heard but it appears that Hotmail will start to charge Hotmail users for accessing their accounts through Outlook and Outlook Express...and i guess other similar email programmes.

It will obviously be a pain not being able to accessa ll your email accounts using one single programme. Would anyone know of any way to get around this?

More info -

click here

click here

click here

Noelg23 14:14 28 Sep 2004

thanks for that...I am not happy at all as I use Outlook Express for hotmail...

webber_man 14:59 28 Sep 2004

It is interesting that Microsoft are unable to come up with a technology to combat spammers while keeping people happy by enabling access of Hotmail through Outlook.

2neat 15:10 28 Sep 2004

how do you delete a hotmail account? I have one but never use it.

cherria 17:25 28 Sep 2004

I'm sure Microsoft could have come up with a technology to combat spammers while leaving other users unaffected, but at the end of the day, Hotmail is a free service so there is little cost benefit to Microsoft doing this.

Its a classic case of the many suffering due to the activities of a selfish few.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:28 28 Sep 2004

Why not just access Hotmail from t'Internet...or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

G

cdb 17:32 28 Sep 2004

It's just another case of trying to make more money, by making people have to pay to use something that used to be free. :@

cherria 18:16 28 Sep 2004

Did I miss the news article where Microsoft changed their status to IT Charity or are they still a business with obligations to provide a good rate of return for their shareholders and investors?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:29 28 Sep 2004

:-)))))))

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:30 28 Sep 2004

'It's just another case of trying to make more money, by making people have to pay to use something that used to be free'........'Why not just access Hotmail from t'Internet...or am I missing something blindingly obvious'....

G

webber_man 23:20 28 Sep 2004

Sure you can access it from the internet - which, after all, is why it's so popular. It's just that using a programme like Outlook to access all your email accounts in one place i thik mose people find far easier and convenient. Which i believe is pretty much the whole point of the programme in the first place!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?