Hotmail log in routed via "secure.footprint.net"

musicbassman 18:01 24 Jul 2008

Hi
When I get the usual Hotmail log in page up on screen the message in the status bar immediately says "Waiting for click here" followed by a long string of code. The page then reloads, identical to the first log in page. This all happens in a split second, there is just time to read the status bar info before it disappears again.
Anyone any idea what this is about? I googled this and there is some related information - one guy thinks its to do with the French gendarmerie (???), someone else thinks its part of a targetted banner ad display system for Hotmail. I'm more curious than suspicious.

musicbassman 18:07 24 Jul 2008

I forgot that this site would say "Click here" instead of printing the web address. Infuriating.
The message in the status bar reads "Waiting for https :/ secure . footprint . net"

Technotiger 19:03 24 Jul 2008

Sounds dodgy to me, I have a hotmail addy but have never seen anything like that before. I also use MSN as my home page, nothing mentioned there about it either. I just signed in to hotmail, everything as normal for me.

I suggest running all your anti-everything programs as you might have picked up a nastie.

musicbassman 22:25 24 Jul 2008

Thanks for this, technotiger. I forgot to mention that this only happens on my home computer - when I log into Hotmail on my stand-alone work computer, I don't get this.
What I'm surprised about is that I can't find any useful info on the web about this - I'm sure I can't be the only person who has seen this - or maybe it happens so quickly that other Hotmail users don't notice it and just think the page is auto-refreshing. Weird.

Ashrich 22:56 24 Jul 2008

Try doing a search for the url you posted .....it comes out to Windows Live Hotmail as opposed to MSN Hotmail !!!

Ashley

Ashrich 22:58 24 Jul 2008

Forgot to add this link ..click here .

Ashley

musicbassman 22:59 26 Aug 2008

1 month later, I still have exactly the same situation, and I'm still just as curious about this. Anyone else any ideas?
Ashley, sorry, I didn't really understand your comments - if I google https :/ secure . footprint . net" I don't get anything that 'comes out to' Hotmail. Also not sure why you put a link to Hotmail ?? - I think I know what Hotmail is !

Technotiger 23:07 26 Aug 2008

This is from a quite old forum, so this would seem to have been going on for some time - though I don't think this will satisfy your curiosity, courtesy of Google of course ...

click here

Technotiger 23:11 26 Aug 2008

Also from Google ... click here

musicbassman 07:53 27 Aug 2008

Thanks Technotiger - yes I get the same Google results which don't help much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Why this awful City of Los Angeles job ad for a graphic designer is actually brilliant

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)