Horrible churning hum from PC frequently

Lukephos 16:45 17 Nov 2016

Usually on start up but while running I will hear a wavy hum for about 5 seconds. It varies in volume (to the point where it beats my headphones sound cancelling) and sometimes sounds very churning (don't know how else to say it). Don't know what it is but I'm scared its something like the hard drive disk on a wonk and I don't want anything to get damaged so I want to get it solved. It's normally not that bad but has been awful a few times lately. Need any more info please ask.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 17 Nov 2016

Sounds like it could be a fan they are often noisy on start, and amy alter speed as the computer loads up if running a "heavy" program.

Perhaps all it needs is a clean.

Forum Editor 18:20 17 Nov 2016

This sounds like a fan bearing about to fail.

If you open the computer's case, you will probably be able to locate the source of the noise.

Lukephos 00:15 18 Nov 2016

I'll check that in the morning, thanks. What should I look for with the baring thing?

robin_x 01:16 18 Nov 2016

If it is a fan, you can try a drop of 3 in 1 oil, if you can apply it or able to pull the blade assembly off the spindle.

click here

Otherwise, replace the fan

robin_x 01:19 18 Nov 2016

Also check blades aren't hitting anything or any nearby loose plastics or circuit boards that may be vibrating. Sticky foam or pads can cure those.

Lukephos 16:24 18 Nov 2016

Though some of the fans are making a bit of a hum they are constant and aren't making the churning sound, I don't think its them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 18 Nov 2016

HAve you started up with the case open?

Lukephos 18:21 18 Nov 2016

Yes, that's where what I did when looking at the fans.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch