Horizontal lines on prints

lightfeet 07:40 25 Sep 2004

My Printer is a Canon i850 in which I am using Print-Rite compatible ink cartridges. Print quality has been good up to now but suddenly narrow horizontal lines, similar to a TV raster has appeared. They are slightly darker than the background colour
Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Dorsai 07:52 25 Sep 2004

It could be a small bit of dust/fluff caught on the printhead/cartridge carrier. Then as it moves over the page it leaves a streak of smudged ink.

Rogerfredo 09:00 25 Sep 2004

Some of the "compatible" inls are more prone to clogging. I have certainly noticed this with my Epson printer.

carper 10:50 25 Sep 2004

Running a print head cleaner has usually worked for me

jack 10:51 25 Sep 2004

You say the horiz lines are darker, suggesting therefore that they are Printed lines as opposed
to non-printed[white] lines
Dorsai's suggestion of a dirt'fluff clog is a more likely reason

Do a head clean, and/or remove cart, clean the contact area witha wet wipe or similar[they ate alchohol impregnated] and do same with head area.
replace, do a clean and calibrate.
see what happens.

Please report back, nothing more frustrate if we cannot see progress.

lightfeet 00:20 26 Sep 2004

Many thanks for all your help. Have cleaned head with wet wipe & ran head cleaning routine as suggested, but still same problem. However I was using Easy-photoprint program initially but found by printing through Paint Shop Pro I obtained good prints without the lines. So it appears to be a software problem rather than the printer. If I establish why this is happening I will post back but in meantime will show as resolved.
Thanks once again

lightfeet 00:22 26 Sep 2004

Many thanks for all your help. Have cleaned head with wet wipe & ran head cleaning routine as suggested, but still same problem. However I was using Easy-photoprint program initially but found by printing through Paint Shop Pro I obtained good prints without the lines. So it appears to be a software problem rather than the printer. If I establish reason for this I will post back but in meantime will tick as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?