Home office Ethernet to Wi-fi

Robgraham 10:10 12 Mar 2018

Hi. I have a home office. It’s too far away for Wi-fi from homehub. So I had an Ethernet cable put in which connects direct into home hub. So works great when I connect laptop directly with Ethernet cable into the Ethernet socket. But I really want Wi-fi in the office. I am confused about what I need. What do I connect into the Ethernet point to give me good Wi-fi. There’s a power socket next to the point. I thought a bt range type extender which can plug into the Ethernet but I really don’t know. Seem to be so many products. Help! Thank you so much

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:10 12 Mar 2018

If you have an old router knocking about you can use that as an access point.

Robgraham 12:20 12 Mar 2018

Thanks. So I want to plug directly into Ethernet point rather than trying bt and their extenders. Not sure of the difference with access point really. If I can plug something in and connect with Ethernet cable then that would be most reliable and strongest way? Is that right?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:44 12 Mar 2018

You need an Access point not a wireless range extender.

Range extenders connect wirelessly to Wi-Fi routers, they must be placed where the Wi-Fi router's signal is already strong, not in the location of the actual dead spot.

An access point connects to a wired router, switch, or hub via an Ethernet cable, and projects a Wi-Fi signal to a designated area.

Range extenders increase the coverage of a Wi-Fi router, they do not increase its available bandwidth

Access points, can handle over 60 simultaneous connections each meaning you'll get full bandwidth in your office.

difarn 14:50 12 Mar 2018

The simplest thing to do would be to use home plugs. You plug one in near your router, attach an ethernet cable from your router to the home plug, pair the second plug to the first (the best way to do this is to use a socket as near to the first plug that you can), when paired you can put this second plug anywhere you want. You can get homeplugs with just wifi, just ethernet or wifi and ethernet. You can also get them with a pass-through plug so you do not lose a socket.

I use TP-link and they were easy to set up and work very well.

Secret-Squirrel 17:37 12 Mar 2018

What do I connect into the Ethernet point to give me good Wi-fi.

If you're looking for something compact and easy to set up then this will be the most elegant solution. Simply connect it with the supplied Ethernet cable, flick the switch to "AP" mode, and you'll find the wireless network name and password on the unit's sticker.

Despite its size the wireless signal should be reliable and more than strong enough for your office.

Amazon UK have an excellent returns policy. The unit I linked to is sold directly by Amazon (not a third-party "Marketplace" seller) so if you're not delighted with it you can send it back for a full refund.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

This graphic novel uses AR to blur the lines between cartoon, comic and video game

How to watch Apple's October 2018 iPad launch

Comment d├ęsinstaller des applications sur un Mac ?