Home networking - What do I need???

  Maineman 00:08 17 Feb 2005

Sorry for being basic, I am running XP Pro SP2 and have an external Speedtouch USB modem. I want to network to my other two home PCs. I was planning on buying a wireless router but am confused. Will it work / connect with my modem or do I have to buy a combined router/modem? The modem I have does not appear to have any other 'sockets' on it ie ethernet (?). I am aware that I need a network adaptor for the other computers but am unsure about the wireless router and my current modem and PC.
Sincere thanks!

  Forum Editor 00:27 17 Feb 2005

you may as well buy one with an inboard ADSL modem. It means one less item of hardware, and once you've configured the router's firmware with your broadband login details it will connect automatically whenever it's switched on - no computer needs to be running.

Doing it this way does mean that each computer needs a wireless network adapter, and although two of them could have external USB models the other one must have a LAN port, so you can connect directly to the router (with the cable that's supplied) for the setup procedure. Once this has been done you can remove the LAN cable and operate on a purely wireless basis with all machines accessing the Internet, regardless of whether any of the other computers are turned on.

  Daxsimus 00:47 17 Feb 2005

I have a speedtouch usb modem. I didn't go the wireless route. I bought a ethernet hub and 2 straight through cables and was set up in no time. depends if you want wireless. Only prob with my set up is that the host comp has to be on for the second to connect. Anyway just a thought as was very cheap to buy the items needed.

  Maineman 01:03 17 Feb 2005

Okay thanks for that, bottom line is i need to go wireless. Witht that in mind I also want to keep costs down, so although I'm happy to get a router with inboard modem, I believe that's more expensive? (I've seen a wireless router for £30).
And I'm sorry Forum editor but the 'lan' bit lost me! I was planning on two PCI adaptors for the other two computers... would they have lan ports?

  georgemac © 08:20 17 Feb 2005

click here wireless router/modem and usb wireless adapter for around £68

click here another usb wireless adapter - this will give you the kit you need for all 3 pcs for under £90.

click here this is likely to be better than the ebuyer usb adapter for just a little more.

The lan port is required to initially connect the router to by cable to configure it and enter your broadband isp settings.

You need to see if your main pc has a network (lan) port - do you know what type of pc or model of motherboard which may have this built in?

click here and download and install everest home edition - run this and check the windows network - this will tell you if you have a network adapter in your pc.

The best option is to leave the wireless router connected by cable to the main pc - if you do not do this you would need to purchase another wireless adapter. If your pc does not have a network card click here get one for a fiver.

  Maineman 16:35 17 Feb 2005

Thanks for that, very helpful.
Everest indicates - Network Adapter Properties:
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Interface Type PPP
Is that any good?? I'm guessing not as I need Lan presumably so should get the network card as suggested.

  georgemac © 16:44 17 Feb 2005

unsure - you should be looking for an ethernet adapter I think. Look round the back of your pc - you are looking for an rj45 connector which looks a little like the modem connecttor but a little bigger click here this picture of a modem shows what an rj45 port looks like - there are 2 at the right hand side - the white ports.

post your motherboard type - may be able to find out from there

  Maineman 16:53 17 Feb 2005

Motherboard Name MSI KT3 Ultra (MS-6380E)

  georgemac © 17:04 17 Feb 2005

click here I think you will have onboard ethernet but there are several models of ms-6380e. Unsure - you need to look for an rj45 connector to be sure.

  Maineman 19:40 17 Feb 2005

Thanks again, I've consulted my mobo manual, no sign of any ethernet / rj45 connectors. It has a JMDM 'for connecting a modem with internal audio connector'. To keep it simple I can get one of those £5 network cards though can't I? I have spare PCI slots.

  georgemac © 19:57 17 Feb 2005

yes that would be the best option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy A8 review: Hands-on

Illustrator Juan Esteban Rodriguez on creating highly detailed official film posters for Star Wars…

iMac Pro review

Meilleurs drones (2018)