Home networking 2 PCs

Jingleman 17:51 07 Apr 2004

Hi,

I have done search and read through other threads on this subject, but can't see my problem!

2 PCS connected with crosover cable (see, I have done some research) Main PC runs XP Pro, run the Network Wizzard, but says "An error has occured during the configuaration of this network ......." doesn't specify what error is, but suggests I do again. Done and lots of reboots.

PC2 runs ME used the XP Windows disk to create network on that, no errors, just neither sees each other.

Before I used 'restore to an earlier period', they sort of talked, but only 30 bytes from PC2 to PC1, though PC2 was listed in Newtork places. Redone today, neither even lists the other.

Suggestions please?

PC1 has 2 ethernet cards, one used for cable modem, tried using the other in case one was faulty, but test OK

Oh, yes I do have Zone Alrm, not only did I swith it off, I even unistalled thinking this will now work, but it didn't resolve non-talking PCs

Thanks in advance

recap 17:57 07 Apr 2004

Disable the Firewall within XP.

Also try inserting the floppy disc before you start the networking wizard. I know it sounds strange but it worked for me once. Funny things computers.

Jingleman 18:04 07 Apr 2004

recap Wed, 07.04.04 | 17:57
>>Disable the Firewall within XP.
Also try inserting the floppy disc before you start the networking wizard. I know it sounds strange but it worked for me once. Funny things computers. <<

Tried disabling firewall, re-enabling, floppy disk, XP CD, sledgehammer - none resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?