Home network setup. Ubiquitous Vs others

Obidose 11:38 06 Aug 2018

I have just had extension work done on my house. In the process I have had the house wired with cat6 which all terminates in a room in the attic. I intend to house all my network equipment up there.

I currently have an Asus AC68u and a by FTTP 300mb internet connection.

I want good WiFi all over the house so I suspect a single router in the attic will struggle to provide a good connection to the downstairs areas. I am therefore planning in having an AP on each floor and have ran cat6 to the ceiling of each hallway for this purpose (would need to be poe ap).

I have been looking at the equipment I should buy to best achieve my aims. I really like the look of the ubiquity unify stuff. However, their switches are considerably more expensive than comparable models from Linksys/tp-link/Netgear/d-link. I also think to get the value from ubiquity I would be best buying every step from them.

The full ubiquity set up would include: Security gateway, 24port Poe switch, 2 Poe access points, Cloud key controller,

All in all around £700

The other option of a different 24 port Poe switch and a couple of tp-link APs would be more in the region of £350.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of set up? Is Ubiquity worth the extra outlay?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

George Bletsis' illustrations capture character and chaos with an effortless touch

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment supprimer son historique Netflix ?