Home Network Qeury

  thedarkside 10:30 05 Sep 2004

I am about to network two PC's at home and was wondering if it would be more stable to use a hub and two patch cables, or one single crossover cable instead? Both use Win XP.

The PC'c are at opposite ends of the house (50 - 60 feet). As there is sensitive business information on the PC's, I am not considering wireless as an option. I have no aversion to making holes in walls, etc. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

  johnnyrocker 10:39 05 Sep 2004

click here and click here


  thedarkside 11:10 05 Sep 2004

Thanks for the quick reply. The Linksys site was very useful. Nice one.

  SEASHANTY 12:32 05 Sep 2004

If you are using cable Broadband consider the Linksys BEFSR41 router. I use this for independent
use of either PC. (This is a wired router which has four outlet ports plus the WAN port) Connect each PC
via a patch cable. My second PC is at the end of a
20M patch cable. The Tech Helper Guide shows how to setup click here

  stylehurst 13:11 05 Sep 2004

The USR Broadband Router is another possibility.
I use one of these with the PCs at 5m & 25m & the BB modem plugged into the router.
A further advantage of the USR is that you can network your printer if you so wish.
Set up is easy with good instructions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?