hide email address on website

kindly 22:46 21 Jul 2007

Hi everyone. I have a website and on it I would like to put a "contact me" box somewhere. I dont want my email address showing. Can you please advise how to do this. Quiet a while ago a did get a bit of advise of how to do it but cannot find that paticular thread. thanks in advance.

brundle 23:56 21 Jul 2007

Obfuscate; click here
ASCII codes; click here
Neither are particularly effective from what I've heard.
Perhaps a form which generates an email via PHP would be less prone to spam? Plenty of examples; click here
Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm only just learning this kind of thing myself

robgf 02:38 22 Jul 2007

The safest method is to use an image of your email address.
The disadvantage is that visitors will need to type your address in.
But I use this method on my web site and no-one has ever complained.
You can link the image to a mailto tag, so that their email program opens, when they click on the image.
Mine says ***Please enter my address here*** in the "to" box, when it opens.

Or you can use an email scrambler, such as these two freewares:
click here
click here

Rob. :)

kindly 10:31 22 Jul 2007

A few things there for me to look at. Also a few things to learn aswell. The info is what I am looking for I think. cheers

SimpleSimon1 10:27 23 Jul 2007

Guys

Further to the above, as the search spiders become more intelligent, they seem to be able to cope with html-based scramblers. Consequently, a lot of the scramblers seem to be using a Javascript mechanism, as well.

If you access such a page with a Javascript-disabled browser, does this stop a Javascript-obscured e-mail link from being successfully used or can the browser still decipher the obscured e-mail address?

Cheers

robgf 02:15 24 Jul 2007

If you have Javascript disabled in your browser, a scrambled email using Javascript wont work.

I wouldn't have thought that it would be a great problem, as most people browse with Javascript enabled, simply because a large proportion of modern sites "break" without it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?