hibernation worked until....

grumpy-git 08:53 23 Jul 2005

I ran Powerquest Datakeeper for the first time last night. That is the only "out of the ordinary" thing I have done.

Tried system restore to a time before running datakeeper but it wouldn't restore.

Can't think of anything else.

When datakeeper was originally installed on this pc I am sure it didn't cause hibernation problems.

G-G

jack 09:01 23 Jul 2005

I dont think the two are related.
Hibernate can be flaky for me too from time to time and I oft wonder why and have considered a post.
During the course of the day the machine will put it self to sleep if left for an hour or sometimes less, also during the day I can hibernate it if going out say.
However I oft find that toward the end of the day when I am ready for bed the machine is not.
If left to its own devices for an evening TV's say
When I come back to it - its still wide awake.
When its bedtime for me - it wont hibernate[shift/standby] and I have to shut itdown.
All very peverse.

shortcircuit 09:44 23 Jul 2005

Have encountered years of issues with Hibernate from ME to Xp with all types of systems, Sometimes, I get a PC which loves hibernate and works fine but most issues. The best solution I found to the great debate of weather to turn off your pc or not, was to invest in a good quality PSU, quiet CPU fan and exit fans and just leave it on 27/7! I NEVER turn off my p.c. The monitor goes on Standby and HHD shuts down after 10mins, but the rest I keep on. I have never had any issues since. My pc has been running for about 18 months with no issues. I still build pc's for people and I always give a large portion of their budget to the PSU and a good Surge protector and then tell them to only turn off a pc when they are leaving the house for more than a day.

Loads of people might disagree with me but I came to this conclusion with so many people bringing me pc's which were ill and the only lead was "I got up in the moring and turned it on...and it went dead". Maybe the same as a lighbulb blows when turned on after 8 months of life or whenever, but they always seem to blow when turned on! This surge of electricity is what kills mobos and CPUs. When left on, there is no surge and they just rumble on every day.

My work has 620 PC's(retail stores and head office) which are on 24/7 and we very rarely get conponent failure.(plenty of software faults tho!)
There must be some link with this fact and the pc's are only Fuitsu and Dell.

shortcircuit 09:45 23 Jul 2005

Have encountered years of issues with Hibernate from ME to Xp with all types of systems, Sometimes, I get a PC which loves hibernate and works fine but most issues. The best solution I found to the great debate of weather to turn off your pc or not, was to invest in a good quality PSU, quiet CPU fan and exit fans and just leave it on 27/7! I NEVER turn off my p.c. The monitor goes on Standby and HHD shuts down after 10mins, but the rest I keep on. I have never had any issues since. My pc has been running for about 18 months with no issues. I still build pc's for people and I always give a large portion of their budget to the PSU and a good Surge protector and then tell them to only turn off a pc when they are leaving the house for more than a day.

Loads of people might disagree with me but I came to this conclusion with so many people bringing me pc's which were ill and the only lead was "I got up in the moring and turned it on...and it went dead". Maybe the same as a lighbulb blows when turned on after 8 months of life or whenever, but they always seem to blow when turned on! This surge of electricity is what kills mobos and CPUs. When left on, there is no surge and they just rumble on every day.

My work has 620 PC's(retail stores and head office) which are on 24/7 and we very rarely get conponent failure.(plenty of software faults tho!)

shortcircuit 09:45 23 Jul 2005

grumpy-git 09:53 23 Jul 2005

At least it is a relatively quiet pc (except when working hard!) so I shall probably leave it on for longer periods, or use "standby" which still works.

Will check back over the next day or so to see if anybody else comes up with further messages.

G-G

jack 17:20 23 Jul 2005

I have no wish to start putting people off
on the 24/7 on Debate, because there isual in what SC says - contstant On/off cycle 'kicks'
can be a life shortenor - we have afterall heard the old chestnut about the bulb in the cellar that has been on day and night for 50 years...
But take a look at this - It shook me I can tell you

click here

jack 17:21 23 Jul 2005

I have no wish to start putting people off
on the 24/7 on Debate, because there isual in what SC says - contstant On/off cycle 'kicks'
can be a life shortenor - we have afterall heard the old chestnut about the bulb in the cellar that has been on day and night for 50 years...
But take a look at this - It shook me I can tell you

click here

Ancient Learner 20:37 23 Jul 2005

I hope I don't post more than once here.

Thanks jack. I admit to having already forgotten the advice in that brilliant piece. I must tie a knot in something! -:))

jack 14:09 24 Jul 2005

Double- triple even- posting is something I endevour to avoid- sometimes there is a server glitch some where- I think.
When having clicked on 'post reponse' the screen hangs and then settles only to find the post is still diplayed- you click again- there you are
twice - my last seems even stranger ostensibly posted twice - but they appear to be textually different.-- I shall have to give this machine a good shaking methinks.

grumpy-git 14:40 29 Jul 2005

Nothing stranger than computers!

This morning I left the pc switched on but spent some time away from it. When I came back it was not running. Thinking to myself, did I switch it off earlier? No, I'm sure I hadn't, so I pressed the power switch and expected a wait of a minute or so as it powered up, but, it came out of hibernation instead.

So, the hibernation problem seems to have gone away.

Now all I need to do is find out why windows explorer occasionally hangs. That was another subject that as yet has not been resolved.

g-g

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?