Hibernate Button in Vista

prince midas 10:49 31 Jan 2009

I seem to be getting a bigger hibernate file every week.It is now up to 3gig which seems a waste of space as I do a full image restore every week.Which means my image files are including a 3G hibernate file.
I can see no advantage in the Hibernate command, but if I do remove it, can I put it back at a later date and how easy is it to do this.Finally will my computor boot up as quick as before with hibernate not being there.Reason I say this is because I read somewhere that Hibernate saves settings to reduce startup time,is this worth keeping it for, or is it pie in the sky.

MAJ 11:49 31 Jan 2009

The Hibernate file (hiberfil.sys) will be the same size as the amount of physical memory you have installed. It's one of the first things I get rid of as I have 3GB of RAM and so would have a 3GB hiberfil.sys file. To turn it off, go to Start > Run, type in:

CMD

and click OK. Then into the Command window, type:

powercfg -h off

and press the Return key and reboot your computer. You can turn it on again by opening a Command window and using the command:

powercfg -h on

press the Return Key and reboot.

prince midas 14:49 31 Jan 2009

Thanks Maj did as you said and removed it no problem thanks again.

crosstrainer 14:54 31 Jan 2009

It's really not worth keeping anyway, as hibernate won't work on quite a few motherboards.

And it helps save the planet by switching off properly :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?