Help w/ Lenovo Z500 after ‘failed update’

CDFTom 18:51 01 Jun 2018

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, apologies if not. Also, I’m terrible at summarising and I know next to nothing about the technical side of things so sorry again if some of the wording is confusing!

Basically a week ago my Lenovo Z500 Ideapad asked me if I wanted to do an update and I selected Update Later, as I was in the middle of watching something live, and it said it would commence the update in 24 hours.

An hour after that while I was still watching, the screen went to black while the sounds of what I was watching were still playing and after 2 minutes of trying to get the screen back on every way I know I decided to just turn the laptop off and restart it. It took an eternity to come back on, restarting twice, and an error message popped up saying the update had failed (I don’t remember the exact wording or anything I just wanted to get back to what I was doing). When it came back on it was really slow for about 20 minutes but then came back to normal and was fine for the rest of the night.

Fast forward about 8 hours later, I got a low battery warning so I put the charger in, but two minutes after that it just died.

From then on, whenever I try to use it, it lasts a maximum of about 30 seconds before I get the sound of the fan spooling up and it goes to sleep, and it’s been getting progressively worse whenever I try to use it, just now when I tried it was waking itself up and going to sleep repeatedly.

Any help or advice I would greatly appreciate!

N.B. I’ve had it for just under 4 years now, I don’t think it’s massively depreciated since then, it’s obviously got a bit slower, and due to a spillage about a year ago I can’t use some letters on the keyboard (including the enter key), and the battery is a little worse than it was as occasionally when it’s charging I have to take the charger out as the battery level indicator flashes red and the power button does too - which leads me to believe it may be a battery issue.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 01 Jun 2018

power on then off again after 5 seconds

repat 3 times on 4th attempt see if it will boot to the Troubleshoot screen amnd do a startup repair or a reset.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Design a vector map packed with creatures and landmarks

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment désactiver la lecture automatique des vidéos sur Chrome ?