Help & Support with Help & Support . . . ?

Faffingwaste 10:08 08 Aug 2008

Be much obliged if any bright sparks here -- of whom there are many -- could lend some Help & Support re the Help & Support I need to run so as to access Help & Support.

Explanation: this PC is running XP SP2. I've no idea why the Help & Support facility no longer works, but it doesn't.

T'other day I wanted to do a system restore and so went to Start / Help & Support. A Windows message dutifully appeared on screen:

Help & Support not available. Please start Help & Support service.

Well, that's exactly the kind of help & support everyone needs when Help & Support isn't there because Help & Support isn't, er, there.

I managed my system restore OK without Help & Support but even so: the alert message is about as useful as something reading:

Your PC is on fire. It is on fire because it is on fire.

Anyone know how I can locate the non-running Help & Support service and get it running again?

Thanks.

DippyGirl 10:27 08 Aug 2008

Right click taskbar > properties > start menu > customise > advanced
Make sure help & support is ticked
Apply and OK out

DippyGirl 10:32 08 Aug 2008

sorry misread your post
are the following running in taskmanager ?
helpsvc.exe helphost.exe helpctr.exe

DippyGirl 10:41 08 Aug 2008

Sorry XP PC is playing up ....
If not services.msc from Start>Run
find Help and support
right click > properties
should have a start type of Automatic

You can also start the service from the main services window

birdface 11:09 08 Aug 2008

Googled.click here=

brundle 11:10 08 Aug 2008
  VoG II 11:11 08 Aug 2008

Something here should help click here

brundle 11:12 08 Aug 2008

You don't /have/ to create a slipstream disc, either find your original XP or recovery CD, or look for the file in c:\i386 (if that folder exists). Use MSConfig to expand the file to a temporary folder if required click here

Faffingwaste 17:02 08 Aug 2008

Blimey. You lot are astounding.

BIG thanks to everyone for all the help offered (and to Dippy, special thanks because I'd completely forgotten, or maybe never even knew, how to bring up the services section on screen.)

I'm away from the dysfunctional PC at the moment so have saved all the info and links here and when I get back home tonight will work through all the advice.

Meantime, then, many many thanks again.

Right. Next question.

I should like to enable Help & Support in the Revenue & Customs panel as my life is not running at all smoothly due to excessive demands placed on it simultaneously by the following services:

British Gas, HM Treasury, Sainsburys, Skipton Building Society mortgage section and Virgin Trains, Season Ticketing Department.

Everything was going reasonably well until fairly recently, but now I think all the above are malware. I'm also pretty sure that gbrown.exe is a trojan.

Assistance with removing all the above or with Revenue & Customs Help and Support (so I can at least reduce that particular overhead) will be greatly appreciated.

Ditch999 17:58 08 Aug 2008

Apparently there are WMDs in 10 Downing Street!!!

Send in G.W. Bush!!

woodchip 18:06 08 Aug 2008

Some PC Help Support connects to the Manufacturers site to do it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)