[HELP] Spilt water on closed laptop

  Guest 1234512564 23:14 12 Jan 2018

I have a month-old HP Spectre X360. Yesterday night, I spilt about 50mL of water on my desk, and some went on the top of my laptop on the right hand side, and also pooled under it.

When I opened it up there was some water on the side of my screen as well has on the borders of the keyboard and next to the touchpad. I think there might have been some water actually on the edges of the touchpad but I'm not sure.

After mopping up the water, I turned it on, and then turned it off about twenty seconds later when I realised that I'm an idiot. I didn't unlock it but it turned on fine and the keyboard was working.

I left it open to dry over night.

My question is: what do I do now? Is there no point in letting it dry because I already turned it on and the damage has already been done? If not, how long do I dry it for?

Do I try turning it back on again at all? Or should I just rush it to the repair people so they can have a look at it/trying taking it apart myself?

  rdave13 23:35 12 Jan 2018

As you need to remove the casing to remove the battery I would put it in an airing cupboard for about 24 hours with lid open. If the damage is already done then nothing to lose by booting up after the 24 hours drying time. That's what I would do.

If you open the case to disconnect the battery then you invalidate your warranty.

  Guest 1234512564 01:01 13 Jan 2018

Just to clarify - are you recommending that I don't remove the battery?

  qwbos 01:17 13 Jan 2018

Without digging further than rdave13's post, I assume you cannot remove the battery without opening the case, so no, don't remove the battery, and don't switch it on again till it's had a chance to dry out.

A warm airing cupboard for 24 hours minimum should work. I'd be leaving it open and standing on the end the water was nearest to. If you have any silica gel bags, use them as well. I wouldn't be tempted to use a hairdryer.

My ancient boiler (pre balanced flue) sits in a cupboard that's well ventilated and it's warm on top of the boiler. That's an ideal drying location if you have something similar.

  rdave13 01:20 13 Jan 2018

Just to clarify - are you recommending that I don't remove the battery?

Can you remove it without affecting your warranty? I.E. opening the case - or is your battery removable from out side the case?

  wee eddie 02:16 13 Jan 2018

As the battery is a considerable item. Removing it should only be a problem if it is sealed in.

Remove the battery and, as suggested, and put somewhere warm for 24 hours before you turn it on again

  rdave13 02:22 13 Jan 2018
  Guest 1234512564 14:12 13 Jan 2018

Thanks for your advice everyone. I didn't remove the battery - I don't think opening the casing voids the warranty where I live but I didn't want to screw with the internals or get into a hassle about it. I was leaving it to dry and then gave it to someone to have a look at and they turned it on... About 16 hours at the point. It seems to be working fine (thank god) but I'm still a bit worried about other problems cropping up in the future because of this.. is that possible?

  wee eddie 14:56 13 Jan 2018

Unlikely: Water tends to short things out as soon as it hits live parts, but is unlikely to cause any problem if the parts are unpowered at the time and will be fine once they have dried out.

However, sweet drinks can leave a sticky deposit which is a conductor

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:46 13 Jan 2018

Because it was closed its unlikely water got inside.

You were correct to mop it immediately, your mistake was to switch on before allowing to dry out as instructed above. Soft drinks tea and coffee are worse that plain water.

As wee eddie says if water had got in it would have shorted immediately you switched on.

Sometimes we get lucky - I manged to crash my drone into a water bucket, fully immersed up side down, lithium battery included. After drying in airing cupboard for 24 hrs luckily it worked ok when switched back on.

  qwbos 17:07 13 Jan 2018

Fruit Bat /0\/0\

I'd been in the garden one afternoon, and when I finished, decided to wash my gardening clothes - and my car key. It took a few minutes for the penny to drop what was clonking, but got it out as fast as possible, rinsed under the cold tap, dried it, then carefully opened it, removed the battery and left it open to air off. It survived, saving me a small fortune for a replacement.

The trick is not to mix electricity and water!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

4500

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Festival de Cannes 2018 ?