Help with Skype

Pamy 15:19 08 Nov 2007

Hello everyone, I could do with some advice with Skype phone calls. I have the latest version. When I make a phone call to another Skype user, Skype closes after a few seconds of us talking.
Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Technotiger 15:42 08 Nov 2007

Hmm, sorry I don't know why Skype closes like that, but why make a phone call when you both have Skype?

Stuartli 15:48 08 Nov 2007

>>but why make a phone call when you both have Skype?>>

Why not? It's free between Skype users and less inhibiting than using a headset...:-)

Pamy 16:05 08 Nov 2007

When I say a phone call I mean that we talk to each other via a Skype usb phone (me) and a microphone and speakers (my friend)

Technotiger 16:08 08 Nov 2007

Are you using Skype itself, as opposed to the Skype hand-held phones? If you are both using the Skype Phones I think the drop-out might be due to the fact that they use similar technology to mobiles (G3 I think), so they are possibly affected by poor signal problems just like mobiles.

I have never used the phone system to talk to another Skype user, to be honest never thought of doing that, when it works so well with mic & spkrs.

But even though phoning is free, (though isn't there a £10 a month charge?) not much good if you can only talk for a few seconds.

Technotiger 16:08 08 Nov 2007

We were both typing at same time - I must learn to type faster!!

Pamy 16:11 08 Nov 2007

We are both just using Skype, I just happen to have a usb phone plugged in and my friend uses a mike and speakers

Pamy 16:14 08 Nov 2007

Skype is free computer to computer voice or mesaging and no payment is required to use it this way

Technotiger 16:24 08 Nov 2007

Yes I know it is free computer to computer, but I thought there was a charge Phone to Phone. However, I have just had a look via Google - ya know what I am gonna get for me and my partner? You've guessed it, a couple of Skype phones :-)

Though I know that does not help with your drop-out problem. If I can find some more info on that I will get back to you - unless someone else can come up with the proper answer sooner.

Technotiger 16:27 08 Nov 2007

Maybe the Skype forum could answer your query ...
click here

Pamy 16:46 08 Nov 2007

Signed on , but just could not find out how to post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?