Help with a scanner please

bumpkin 20:46 14 Nov 2018
Answered

Hi, I have a Canon MP492 printer/scanner/ copier. Great for most purposes but rarely I want to use the scanning mode and it just keeps telling me to place the document on the platen which of course I have done. When I press OK is says preparing, makes a few noises like it is working and then asks for the document on the platen again. This cycle will keep repeating and I assume it has not been scanned as the light does not go back and forth as it does when copying,

bumpkin 21:44 16 Nov 2018

bump

Menzie 22:28 16 Nov 2018

Are you able to copy directly from the printer? If so it means the scanner assembly is still functional.

Some users of Canon Multifunctionals have reported issues with scanning in particular when one of the ink carts are low or empty (sounds strange yes I know).

bumpkin 09:45 17 Nov 2018

Are you able to copy directly from the printer?

Yes, that works ok.

Menzie 13:34 17 Nov 2018

That means the scanner assembly is fully functional then. Are any of the ink cartridges low or finished?

bumpkin 15:02 17 Nov 2018

Ink is ok, strange why that should affect anything as you say.

Menzie 16:42 17 Nov 2018

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

rdave13 17:49 17 Nov 2018
Answer

Drivers here . Try uninstalling with a portable uninstaller like Geek . Then reinstall. You could also try the Windows scan App. Basic scan program to check out.

bumpkin 19:59 17 Nov 2018

Thanks rdave reinstall appears to have fixed it.

rdave13 21:42 17 Nov 2018

Thanks for the feedback but points should go to Menzie as he first mentioned it. The old uninstall/reinstall works most of the time. Glad you're sorted anyway.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch