HELP: Samsung SSD to Samsung SSD Cloning Error

rogerthat1945 23:27 16 Feb 2015

Hi, I have a Haswell i7 PC with windows 8.1 running great. It has a Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD (30% free space); and I bought a Samsung V-Nand 500Gb SSD to clone to (via way of a failed attempt to clone to a Crucial M550 500Gb [which ended up in my olde XP PC]).... The problem is NO MIGRATION or Clone software will allow a copy of the existing hard drive to the new hard-drives.

Every program that tests Windows & SSD`s says my SSD is in great condition; except Samsung Migration clone; which cuts out after 35% of the clone /Migration process...

I have tried disconnecting my other Drives in the PC. I have tried disabling RAPID Mode. I have tried disabling some Windows Hibernation features etc... But all to no avail. I have tried other companies CLONE software such as EaseUS & Macrium etc.. It FAILED FAILED FAILED.

What am I doing wrong; as I have a complex set of programs and links to my other drives; so a compete re-install of Windows 8/8.1 to the larger drive is not a practical option... SAMSUNG Migration software also prevents me Migrating the current 250Gb SSD to a standard hard-drive for a back-up copy.

ALSO; I bought a Clone-Drive-Box; and that FAILED FAILED FAILED to clone (even though I pre-formatted the 500Gb V-Nand SSD).

The Samsung V-Nand is working; as I put a fresh install of Windows 8.1 on it and it ran GREAT. So BOTH Drives run great; but I cannot clone from the smaller one.

Anything I missed?

How can I CLONE it?

bumpkin 11:50 17 Feb 2015

I don't know if it will work, but might be worth a try click here

Secret-Squirrel 12:41 17 Feb 2015

"Apparently its a VSS error."

In that case, don't try cloning the drive from within Windows but instead create and use a Macrium Reflect boot CD. Apparently it contains all the standard features (including clone).

Apologies if you've already tried this alternative method.

rogerthat1945 00:18 02 Mar 2015

Fifty+ hours work re-installing everything with Windows and re-installing dozens of programs and hundreds of links and hundreds of links to all my other drives and programs and files/documents and software. Then a further few dozen hours re-doing all my downloads & links (many hours re-finding re-doing all my Bookmarks and passwords for all my accounts); and I may be getting towards the finish line...

Freaking Microdamnyou

Next time I use an axe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Razer Blade Pro 17 review

Enter graphic design heaven with these vintage Japanese posters

What is Apple Card and Daily Cash?

Les meilleures applications pour Android (2019)