Help!!! problem all processes very slow

smilodon 19:05 03 Jul 2008

Everything that has a sound is echoing and all processes running slowly. Burning a disc takes ages where before would in minutes.Tried using registry cleaners , tried cc cleaner and nCleaner to no avail. Registry defrag also still no change, getting progressively slower. OS is windows xp on HP pavilion laptop , amd turion 64, 1028 Ram a year old . Please help

Kingfisher 19:11 03 Jul 2008

try system restore, to a date before problem occurred. to get to system restore go to Start> Programs> accessories> system tools> system restore, click on this and select a date in bold prior to problem, good luck

Technotiger 19:11 03 Jul 2008

Using Ctrl/Alt/Del open Windows Task Manager, then click on the Processes tab and look to see what is hogging the CPU. The only process that should be showing at about 97% is the System Idle Process - this is normal.

smilodon 10:23 04 Jul 2008

In reply to an earlier call for help re. slow computer functions. If there are more processes hogging the CPU , can I safely delete or stop those processes & are there some I may not?

birdface 10:41 04 Jul 2008

I would not delete anything in Task Manager unless you know that it should not be there,Just post the problem on here or google it.

birdface 11:05 04 Jul 2008

Have you tried running all your security programs.In safe mode would be best.{just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts]Try right clicking Local area connection and press repair see if it comes up with any problems.Have you checked what programs are starting in msconfig,Anything there that should not be there.There was problems with certain HP Laptops probably not yours.I will post it on here if I find it.

birdface 11:09 04 Jul 2008

click here worth a read.

Technotiger 11:26 04 Jul 2008

Please indicate here which processes in Task Manager are showing anything above 10% - we may then be able to help further. Some processes are completely safe to stop, like for instance Adobe updater which is a know CPU hog!

TonyM 11:59 04 Jul 2008

Check what mode your hard disk is operating in (via device manager) - if there has been a system read/write problem Windows may have reverted to PIO mode rather than UltraDMA .....which will slow everything down hugely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)