Help please! Files folders disappeared

Yimbo 12:37 28 Jan 2019
Answered

I've just discovered that all the content in "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music" and goodness knows what else, have all disappeared from my Drive C. I'm using Windows 8:1. I'd appreciate any help with recovery. Thanks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:25 28 Jan 2019

Have you just had an update?

do you have a windows.old file /folder?

Yimbo 13:35 28 Jan 2019

Hi Fruit Bat -- No updates in last few weeks. Search for Windows old file/folder produces no results.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:47 28 Jan 2019

try searching for the name of one of the missing files that you can remember

Yimbo 15:11 28 Jan 2019

Hi again! It's not producing any results. I really appreciate your help on this!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:08 28 Jan 2019

Its possible the attributes of the folders have changed to Hidden

resetting of the hidden attributes can be done by right clicking the my documents folder and select properties, general tab section, check the hidden box and click on apply, this will change all of the files to hidden, click yes, then uncheck the hidden box and apply, it will remove the hidden attribute see if the files reappear if that works then do the same for the other folders.

Yimbo 17:34 28 Jan 2019

Thank you, Fruit Bat - - That really looked hopeful - - but, alas, nothing changed. Folders still empty.

MJS WARLORD 17:48 28 Jan 2019

never heard of this on windows 8 but on 10 loads of people who were part of the insider program reported what has happened to you and Microsoft pulled a faulty patch.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 28 Jan 2019
Answer

think its time to use some recovery software dn't want to write to C drive as this may overwrite your files see if you can install to another drive and save any files to another drive

Recuva

Yimbo 10:29 29 Jan 2019

Back again - - I'll give Recuva a go - but does the free version suffice, or will I need the £20 edition? Thank you for your patience and advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:49 29 Jan 2019

Free version should find your files

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Anthem review-in-progress

Illustrator and children's author Owen Davey on maintaining success with his animal and art mastery

WWDC 2019: Dates, what to expect, and how to get tickets

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans