help please! adsl router and router difference

shellie_eeyore 07:31 19 Dec 2006

hi there im new to this site and just after some idiot advice !! im not good with this wireless situation!
right i have 1 computer 1 laptop both windows xp i want to join them with a wireless connection so i went out and brought a router but i got a adsl router i have since looked on the net and i seem to have a problem as im on ntl cable broadband can i still use this router or do i need to get a new one i have been looking at them online and some mention adsl and ntl broadband i dont want to take it out the box till i know it will work. thanks in advance to anyone who relpys

mgmcc 09:12 19 Dec 2006

If you have bought a combined "Router & ADSL Modem", then you have the wrong type for use with NTL's Cable service.

You need a stand-alone router, usually described as a Wireless "Cable/DSL" Router. (Don't confuse the reference to DSL with the models that incorporate an ADSL Modem).

Suitable examples at PC World click here

shellie_eeyore 09:31 19 Dec 2006

thanks for the info looks like i now have a adsl router i have no use for! wish id asked before i went out and brought one the place i got it from doesnt do cable ones so thanks for the link to pc world ill go there

oldbeefer2 10:06 19 Dec 2006

I recently bought an unused NTL Netgear wireless modem router by mistake (didn't notice it was for cable until I got home, and the individual I bought it from won't refund the money!). It may be just what you need. PM me if interested and I'll send details of the model when I get home.
Richard

Strawballs 00:05 20 Dec 2006

click here Here are a few more that you can use I myself have the Linksys WRT54g model on NTL.

shellie_eeyore 11:00 20 Dec 2006

thanks to everyone who has advised me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?