help with outdated alienware alx r1

mickymoore1969 18:40 03 Mar 2018

hi,i am gonna start with i know absolutely nothing about pc's really NOTHING!!,so here's my problem i love games and particularly flight sims so i bought an aurora alx r1,r2,r3,i don't know??,here are the specs,windows 7 premium,intel (r) core (tm) i7 920 @2,66ghz,ram 6gb,system type 64 bit,nvidia geforce gtx 460,motherboard is an ms 7591,i have put the information in as i see it in the computer.So its slow to start up to get on google,takes ages to load web pages and this is the horrible bit for me when i put the flight sim on it looks terrible the flight sim is old so with this being an old pc i thought it would run ok,i need some help to bring my pc to 2018,please reply to me like you would a 2 year old as i am in know way a techy person,many thanks for reading this,michae

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 03 Mar 2018

Slow PC / Laptop

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporary files and folders -- use CCleaner

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :- Malwarebytes Superantispyware Free Antivirus software Avast

c) Clean the registry -- Use the tool in CCleaner its very safe and also allows you to back up the registry first.

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Right click MY Computer - select properties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a different drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok. If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at start up -- Start - Run type msconfig - start up tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

2. Hardware

a) Hard drives /

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives (DO NOT DEFRAGG A SOLID STAE DRIVE) -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

b) Drivers Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) Memory Your memory could be failing try memtest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)