HELP! ...........No re-start button!

realist 21:48 24 Mar 2006

OK no doubt this is a silly question but my old W98 pc had two buttons one to turn it on and another to re-start it if it locked up or whatever.
So how would I restart my new pc (has only one button) apart from powering down? I tried pressing the start button again but that has no effect.

Cheers and thanks for all recent help received here.

octal 21:51 24 Mar 2006

It should switch off when you sign off 98, because its a software switch. Try pushing the button for a few seconds and see if that switches it off.

octal 21:53 24 Mar 2006

Sorry, I just noticed its the new PC, same thing try pushing the button for several seconds.

realist 21:54 24 Mar 2006

OK cheers octal. The new pc is XP, does that make a difference?

realist 21:54 24 Mar 2006

Cheers again

octal 22:01 24 Mar 2006

I've just tried that with mine and it powers off, its only got one button as well. I don't use XP but I expect there is a cute way of doing it, trouble is I've never had to do a restart as such on my system.

VoG II 22:05 24 Mar 2006

Do you mean that if you click Start, Turn Off Computer, your options are limited? If so, what are they?

realist 22:24 24 Mar 2006

My new Evesham XP pc hung on "saving settings"....

VoG II 22:26 24 Mar 2006
  realist 22:39 24 Mar 2006

Many thanks VOG I bookmarked it for future reference, I think my problem was maybe caused by AOL not shutting down properly.

FatboySlim71 22:58 24 Mar 2006

Yeah I have occasionally had the same problem and I believed AOL was the culprit, as sometimes as well I noticed a little window appear saying "End program" and it was either the AOL program/files that was shown in the end program window.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?