Help with new home network

martjc 23:21 10 Sep 2003

I have Telewest BB going into a router feeding two machines. It seems that each machine can receive the internet but I am at a loss as to how I can share resources between the two machines.

I have tried the XP network wizard on machine 1. It gave a success message. I created a floppy to set up the second machine (Win98). The program seemed to run o.k. but I still can't figure how to see machine 1 from 2 and vise versa.

Please help. Driving me nuts...

Forum Editor 23:45 10 Sep 2003

have the same workgroup name? Unless they do you won't be able to see one from the other. The default name in Windows is MSHOME - did you use that? Then, each computer must have its own unique machine name.

Finally, you should disable the WindowsXP firewall on both machines - they don't need it anyway because your router almost certainly has its own.

Seadog 00:16 11 Sep 2003

I have exactly the same problem, although I don't really need to share files etc. between the two machines it would be nice. I have a cable modem connected to the EWAN port on the router and two computers connected to two of the "normal" ports. I can also connect a laptop to one of the spare ports to access the internet without configuring anything.
As regards a firewall, I am not sure about the router having one, I am currently running Zone Alarm on both machines....................

martjc 09:03 11 Sep 2003

Both have the same workgroup name. They have unique machine names. XP firewall is disabled. I'm not saying there's anything wrong, just that I don't know how to accomplish the task and it doesn't seem at all obvious or intuitive.

martjc 09:16 11 Sep 2003

In my local area connection are the following settings:

[*] Client for MS networks
[*] Service advertising protocol
[/] File and printer sharing
[/] QoS packet scheduler
[/] Netbios
[/] IPX/SPX/Netbios C.T. protocol
[/] Internet protocol

Where [*] is a partly selected category and [/] is fully selected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?