Help Needed with Outlook crashing

Mick Thacat 21:24 15 Feb 2018

Greetings; Every time Outlook opens, it opens on a recent email and tries to read it. There is something wrong with this email, and before I can delete it, the program crashes. I tried opening the program in Safe Mode, but it still crashes before I can delete it. Is there another way to delete the problem email so I can stop this repeating loop? Thanks in advance for all help offered,

wee eddie 22:18 15 Feb 2018

What Anti Virus are you running?

Mick Thacat 22:57 15 Feb 2018

I am running Panda

Mick Thacat 18:48 16 Feb 2018

I tried to repair Office; it would not "complete successfully". Safe mode didnt work. Is there a mode where I can go in and try to delete emails in Outlook without Outlook trying to process the email? I do have the "preview" window turned off in Outlook....

Secret-Squirrel 08:49 17 Feb 2018

Mick, I have a couple of ideas but you first need to tell whether it's Windows's Safe Mode or Outlook's Safe Mode that you've been trying? There's a big difference.

Mick Thacat 17:43 17 Feb 2018

thanks for your help. I was trying to solve it via Windows Safe Mode, did not know that Outlook had a Safe Mode

Mick Thacat 17:48 17 Feb 2018

BTW this is Outlook 2007 (Office 2007)

Mick Thacat 19:37 17 Feb 2018

managed to delete the bad email. Thanks

Secret-Squirrel 19:39 17 Feb 2018

Thanks for the extra info.

Outlook's Safe Mode is a good way to determine whether a faulty add-in is causing the problem. Here's how:

Hold down the Windows Key on the keyboard then press R to bring up the Run box. Type outlook.exe /safe then press OK. Let me know whether Outlook opens OK or not and I'll advise further.

By the way, I very much doubt that it's an email that's causing Outlook to crash because the Preview Pane is disabled.

Secret-Squirrel 19:41 17 Feb 2018

managed to delete the bad email.

Ooh err - does that mean your problem's fixed now?

Mick Thacat 20:26 17 Feb 2018

Thanks. Just FYI, neither outlook/safe nor outlook.exe/safe would work for some strange reason

What I did was click the outlook icon then hit the delete key right away; after many atempts it finally worked

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Festival de Cannes 2018 ?