Help needed with making a website 'executable'?

buel 10:09 03 Sep 2016

Hi. Please can someone provide me with a little help? I was looking for a way to download images from sites such as archive.org that will be quicker than 'right-click, save-as' and i stumbled upon this interesting site: click here am trying my best to follow this but I'm not sure what to do when the instructions state 'At my terminal – at which I’ve downloaded a copy of archivedownload.sh and made it executable – I need only issue the following command' For the life of me, I don't understand how to make it 'executable'. Please can someone explain this to me?

Thank you all.

I

Secret-Squirrel 10:52 03 Sep 2016

Buel, before you ask for more help please have the good grace to let us all know how you got on with your previous problem.

Bazzaman 11:47 03 Sep 2016

Take a look at Quadsucker. I know you can use it to download a whole site (subject to certain limitations). Maybe you can use it to download certain types of files (e.g. image files such as .JPGs).

It's many years since I last used it, but I found it useful at the time.

buel 11:50 03 Sep 2016

Apologies SS, I have now done that. Sorry - I completely forgot about that. Thank you octal, much appreciated - I use Windows Vista ang Google Chrome. Please can I trouble you further and ask, because I'm so naive at this, I don't even understand 'navigate to the file in the terminal and run the program'? I really really want to learn how to do this but am so inexperienced.

buel 13:34 03 Sep 2016

Many apologies for this.....I don't understand what the 'terminal' is in this:

'The easy way is to navigate to the file and right click it and and go to Properties, in the Permissions tab put a tick in the box that says Allow executing this file as a program and then navigate to the file in the terminal'

buel 15:49 03 Sep 2016

Wow - thank you so very much for that impressive help! Much appreciated!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)