Help needed - intermittent fault on F-S Scaleo 600

cyberphobic 17:29 01 Dec 2007

I've been given a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo 600 (2.6 Pentium 4, 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, XP Pro)it had been diagnosed by a local computer shop as having either a CPU or mobo fault and not being economic to repair. I reloaded XP, it worked fine for a day, then just died and wouldn't even POST. I replaced the power supply and the graphics card but nothing. I bought a replacement mobo (guaranteed working) fitted it but nothing. I bought a replacement processor - nothing. I then tried the new CPU in the old mobo and eventually got it to boot using the XP disk. I reloaded XP and all was fine, I had just finished loading the last of the Microsoft updates when the screen went black and it died again. Can anyone help me with this please, so far I have spent £60 on this free computer and I am determined to get it going!

skidzy 17:41 01 Dec 2007

Just maybe its failing ram !
Have you considered overheating ?

Are all fans working ?
When replacing the cpu,you did use some thermal compound ?

What make and model mobo ?

cyberphobic 18:15 01 Dec 2007

Swapped the mobo back to the new one - no change Swapped the RAM - no change
Fans all working
Removed CPU, carefully claened it and applied new paste - it booted up immediately, worked for five minutes and then blacked out again.
Mobo is a Gigabyte model for Fujitsu Siemens GA-81SXT-FS

skidzy 00:29 02 Dec 2007

This seems to point to a psu problem...or even a driver issue.
As you have tried a different psu,i can only think of a buggy driver.
Have you ran the mobo driver and utilities disc ?

You have replaced the mobo/psu/cpu/ram fresh install of windows....so im at a loss of what to suggest...sorry.

Getting late now,but will have a deeper look tomorrow and see what i can find.

Just a thought though,do check the mobo is not shortening out.Try running the mobo out of the case on a piece of card.

cyberphobic 09:14 02 Dec 2007

Just to recap - Mobo has been replaced, CPU has been replaced, PSU has been replaced, Graphics card has been replaced, Memory has been replaced. Fresh install of Windows and I have checked Motherboard not shorting out.
Only constants that I can see that remain are the case, the wiring and the CPU Fan/Cooler.
Any more ideas please?

cyberphobic 10:03 02 Dec 2007

Have just discovered that mobo is GA-8ISXT-FS not GA-81SXT-FS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 02 Dec 2007

Only thing you haven't replaced is HDD CD / DVD

Is one of these failing and pulling down the PSU voltages?

cyberphobic 12:42 02 Dec 2007

Thanks for that - good thought, will try changing them as well, however, it doesn't POST when they are diconnected so I am not too hopeful!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?