help!! lightning...orange livebox...and phone line

2drewej 18:54 20 Jul 2007

Hi , well until yesterday everything was running smoothly as it should , i have an orange livebox and a bt phone connected to another phone socket in the house.

yesterday the house came very close to a lightning strike - the power cut out for around 5 seconds and i suspect there was an electricity surge.

now i cannot use the main phone line without unplugging the livebox thus disabling our internet connection.

if i plug both the phone and livebox in at the same time i do not get a dial tone on the main phone - but the internet does work.

the livebox and computer were protected by surge strips so i do not see why this has occured.

any ideas would be appreciated , thank you

octal 19:02 20 Jul 2007

Do you have filters connected? If you do I suspect it's fried the innards of the filter. Surge protectors are a waste of time against lightning because they don't protect all poles of the mains, like the earth connection for instance, just unplug everything next time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:51 20 Jul 2007

I gree try renewing your filters.

2drewej 10:11 21 Jul 2007

, yes i thought it could be the filters , im only using 2/3 i had one new one which i tried and it still didnt work so they both must have died.
i will have to order some more
thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?