Help - Laptop hibrinates instead of closing down

setanta23 13:00 23 Feb 2003

I am using a VA10 and whenever i try to close down on a night nothing happens

i then have to resort to actually switching the machine off and half way through that process i get a screen shot which says preparing to hibrenate

this is a recent phenonomen and i am worried that in spite of constant security etc i may have picked up something nasty which wants my machine connection up all the time

i have a cable connection and this factor alone frightens the life out of me lol

how do i correct this

with sony they give u a re boot set of cd's but this seems to be a little on the drastic side to lose everything to sort this out

AndySD 13:33 23 Feb 2003

Try a free online virus scan click here

What is your Operating System?

setanta23 23:20 23 Feb 2003

am running the virus scan as i type this answer but as i already run norton 2003 and avg i would hope my system is clean.

bigdamouk 23:25 23 Feb 2003

Try turning off Hibernation in Power management....it did the trick with my Vaio

Cesar 12:36 25 Feb 2003

In my old computer win 98 I have upgraded to IE 6.0 I installed AOL and switching from AOL to IE it showed all the AOL favourites, Using the same disc I installed AOL on my new Computer XP Home when I switch to IE explorer 6.0 I get the IE browser with all IE favourites how can I get AOL favourites on this page?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?