Help! Internet speed conundrum?!

SaraD 14:19 21 Jan 2015

Hi there,

This is probably a stupid question, but I really need an answer. I'm moving to a new house which doesn't have a Virgin line in the street, nor does it have fibre optic BT. It just has a regular BT connection, which they tell me runs at 8 - 18mg. Is this fast at all? I'm using a 30 connection now but on a slowish PC.

I'm a research student so I need a decent connection to read PDF's, articles, etc. I'd also like to actually use Youtube and Twitter without waiting for hours...

Can someone please advise if this will be possible on a speed between 8 - 18mg?

Thanks, R

john bunyan 15:36 21 Jan 2015

I am on a copper wire service with Talk Talk (only because I was with Pipex years ago. They offer an "up to 8 mbps" service. I have had occasional problems but am now getting 7 - 9 mbps. I find this perfectly ok for browsing and all such including "catch up" in I Player and the ITV equivalent. I prefer not to sign up for a long term contract (On a historic one month rolling one) and if I started again there are few ISP's offering it (I think Zen is the only one) Also I would prefer a uk based help line. Some say Plus net is good. With a decent router you should be fine with the speeds you mention . Do check if your local exchange is "ADSL2" enabled - you can put your line no into a BT search to see and check which ISP's offer ADSL2 (router needs to be capable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)