Help, have lost all e-mails, divorce imminent!

cyberphobic 15:17 08 Jun 2003

Yaterday a friend and I upgraded my PC with new mobo,processor and SATA (ATA150)HDD.We assumed that we would be able to slave all the contents of the old HDD across to the new one but found that because the new mobo and HDD are serial ATA the old HDD could not be recognised. We transferred some *dbx and *wab files across to the desktop of the machine and I have picked them up as a "store folder" but they are not the right ones. How do I go about finding all my OE folders and loading them onto the new setup? My wife has important mail to deal with tonight and if I've lost it all I'm dead!

jazzypop 15:30 08 Jun 2003

Assuming that the data on the original HDD is still intact, change the jumper settings to Slave and put it into your friend's PC.

Then click here to see all of the various methods for backing up and restoring data from Outlook Express (I presume that this is your mail program, from the references to .dbx and .wab).

Do be careful, as there will two sets of files - one on your friend's disk, and one on your slave.

cyberphobic 17:50 08 Jun 2003

Thanks for your help, I've managed to slave the old hard drive onto another computer, but I just can't find *dbx or *wab files on that drive. Any ideas?

The Spires 18:01 08 Jun 2003

I think they are hidden files.

Tim1964 18:10 08 Jun 2003

The Spires

On enetering '*.dbx' into the find dialog box it brings up all my email folders.

cyberphobic, have you looked for *.dbx and *.wab files instead of *dbx and *wab files? the '.' is an important bit.

Good luck

Tim.

Brian-336451 18:11 08 Jun 2003

When you're dead, can I have your new hard drive. You might call me insensitive but its the entrepreneur in me. . .

Good luck, I've been there.

Now, a bit of practical help. A problem I find with windows, is that not unreasonably they allow for just one hard drive. But with hard drives getting SO capacious, it is possible to use more than one partition.

Why not go into OE (this presumes you lived) and under Tools, Maintenance, change the store folder to another partition called something subtle like Mail (you actually have to create the empty directory first). Then you restart oe and it moves all the emails to this directory.

This means that when you get into this position again (once more presuming you've lived) you can easily back up said directory rather than trying to fish around inside Windows for the correct one.

In my family, inside the box marked Mail, each one of us stores our (Outlook.pst actually) mail file.

spikeychris 18:17 08 Jun 2003

"When you're dead, can I have your new hard drive. You might call me insensitive but its the entrepreneur in me. . ."

LOL

jazzypop 18:23 08 Jun 2003

click here - remember to substitute C: for D: (assuming that is what your slave drive is now called).

cyberphobic 19:12 08 Jun 2003

Is .pst likely to contain my mail? the largest inbox I can find is 137kb which doesn't seem much for 15 months mail.

Brian, if I don't get this sorted out soon, I shall be tearing my SATA drive out and you can have first refusal!!

cyberphobic 19:12 08 Jun 2003

Is .pst likely to contain my mail? the largest inbox I can find is 137kb which doesn't seem much for 15 months mail.

Brian, if I don't get this sorted out soon, I shall be tearing my SATA drive out and you can have first refusal!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:42 08 Jun 2003

click here may help and it has been known to pull deleted stuff back from the dead. click here will cost you $59......reasonable fiscal exchange for a life of misery and servitude.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts