HELP!! fruitbat and other geniuses help me!!

laptopdunce 08:43 23 Jun 2017

I have had to buy a new laptop quickly for my UK use, as cannot transfer files on my current one, (desperately need to transfer files and USB ports not working despite everything on my current laptop) the files and photos are still intact on the old laptop and I desperate want to get them off onto an external usb drive, can fruitbat or any of the other geniuses tell me what I should do? I would take it to a proper PC repairer but you dont know who to trust, basically I just want my files back off the HD of the old computer, there is only about 8-10gbs in files but they are important and irreplacable photos for me. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:30 23 Jun 2017

Se your other thread to get usb ports working.

if all else fails you can remove the hard drive and fit it in an external caddy/case and attach to another machine to transfer files.

Don't panic! your files are safe.

laptopdunce 10:40 23 Jun 2017

OK, I have gone into the device manager and uninstalled he USB host and now shut the laptop down, the pc is only showing "sytem devices" now in the list and no USB host controller at all, do you think I will be able to get my USB external drive to reconginze when it has restarted?? if I can do that I will be happy to just transfer all my files!! bated breath waiting to see what happens!! PRAY!! ON KNEES PRARYING!! laptopdunce

laptopdunce 11:00 23 Jun 2017

I tried this and it still doesnt recognize any US things after I restarted, so then I went into the device manager and uninstalled the two USB things that were showing and then shut down, but on shutting down it has now opened up a thing saying "do no turn off your computer untill the 198 updates are completed!!!" I think this is because I reset the computer last night to orginal settings but keeping the files. Laptopdunce

wee eddie 11:55 23 Jun 2017

Make sure that it's plugged into the mains while the Updates are in progress

wee eddie 11:57 23 Jun 2017

You may not be able to backup your laptop via the USB Ports but, as it's obviously able to access the Internet.

You can backup on-line

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:06 23 Jun 2017

Let your machine finish the up dates before trying to do anything else

Make sure its powered off the mains and just lave it to get on with it.

laptopdunce 12:07 23 Jun 2017

Hi, wee eddie , yess the lapptopis connected to power and stays on power, what do youmean about backing up files online? it is connected to the internet OK, but the USB ports wont work at all, even after I uninistalled only the USB host that was showing, when I went to restart it began with all htese 198 updates which are still going on (on mains power) will let it update fully and try again, but how would I be able to upload all my files online and how would I do it? there is about 10gb in phoots and documents, would I bet able to get them all back to put on the new laptop? (havent even put that one yet!) thanks laptopdunce

lotvic 12:23 23 Jun 2017

cloud storage services 2017 click here it means keep a copy of your files on a Server in the Internet (cloud = up there in the Internet on a Server)

Or you could buy a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive (your own personal 'cloud storage hard drive' that you have at home near wherever your Router is), connect it to your Router and you can access all the files you send (over WiFi via the Router to the NAS drive) from any other pc/laptop that you connect to the Router.

MLA2000 13:00 23 Jun 2017

If both computers are working and they can be switched on together, the best and fastest way to move files between them is over your home network. Make sure both computers are connected and on the both computers, open Control Panel, System and Security, System. You can then see "computer name" and "Workgroup". Make sure the names are different and the workgroup is the same (you can press change settings on the right if you need to)

Then, open the main folders you need to share (IE My Documents), Right click on an empty space in this folder and press "Propeties", go to "Sharing" and then "Advanced sharing". Tick "share this folder". Press permissions, tick 'change' and then OK out of all windows.

On your new computer, open "my computer" and in the address bar type "\" followed by your new PC name (in my case this is \surface3). You can then access the files you have shared, and then copy them to your new PC.

MLA2000 13:02 23 Jun 2017

Sorry, it looks like the editor hasn't formatted my post properly. You will need to put "\" twice together.

So in my case it is \ \surface3 (without the space)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

How map doodles inspired Eric Chase Anderson's illustrations for a Wes Anderson classic

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures tablettes tactiles (2018)