Help! Files all turned to ÿÿÿÿÿÿ. What happened?

corkdork 11:10 05 Oct 2004

Any ideas what has happened to my PC? Most but oddly not all of my word files have been corrupted to appear as a block of 'y's like this:
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ. Also almost all (but again not all) photos are also inaccessible. XP back up point is also inaccessible.

I use XP pro without SP2 yet. I also have updated anti virus softweare from Panda & AVG plus firwall from Zone Alarm plus anti spy and ad ware programs. So what caused this?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Baledor 11:32 05 Oct 2004

online scan with Panda, just to be sure

corkdork 09:53 07 Oct 2004

I did an online scan with panda but turned up nothing

Diemmess 10:12 07 Oct 2004

I have no idea for you - and just add memories of the dark ages in my computing experience.

Long ago using Win95 and then 98 I had trouble with SCSI because of wrong termination settings.

When the whole OS was about to collapse, which it did, time after time, the ÿ symbol was scattered about all over the place.

Might just be worth your while to look at what Windows says about your hardware devices or their controllers.

[email protected] 10:16 07 Oct 2004

Hi corkdork; not a nice situation :-(. Have you tried an in depth system file check?
My Computor>right click drive>Properties>Tools>Error-Checking>Check Now>tick both boxes and follow restart instructions.
Hope this helps.

Graham ® 10:28 07 Oct 2004

Word file corruption help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?