Help with converting pages to word

Technotsavy 16:49 05 Jul 2018

Hi, Im hoping someone can help me with this issue, before I lose ALL my hair :) I have created a document in pages on my Mac Desktop. This is all fine when I view it on my Mac & even when I print it out. However, when I export this to word so other people can view this, who don't have pages, the formatting changes. For example, the Font & Font size changes and words that were all on one line re-align themselves so words split over 2 lines which does not make sense. I have also tried exporting this as a PDF file & the same thing happens. I have checked the document page set up etc & everything seems to look fine & I have no idea how to change this. I would appreciate help on this, but also in laymans terms please, so I can follow any instructions. Thank you for your help in advance.

Forum Editor 17:14 05 Jul 2018

Just to check, this is what you should have done...

Open the Pages file you want to convert. Save to Word format in Pages.

1. Go to the “File” menu and choose “Export To”, then select “Word” from the sub-menu.

2. In the “Export Your Document” screen under the ‘Word’ tab, click the triangle next to ‘Advanced Options’

3. Select a format - docx for instance, if you want the file to be compatible with later Woird version.

4. Give the Word file a name and select a destination to save the file to. Then choose “Export”.

That's it. Not every file will convert perfectly - try to avoid using fancy fonts, and keep the formatting features simple. With a bit of trial and error you'll get it to work perfectly.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple