Help connecting two pc

  trish123 20:14 12 Jan 2007

hi help needed asap i have a desktop downsairs which is on internet the cable from the modem to tower is a usb port therfor the cable that came with the router does not fit into tower how can i sort this my daughter is desperate to have her computer on the internet

  Diodorus Siculus 20:47 12 Jan 2007

Try some punctuation :-)

Where is daughter's PC?

Do you have a wireless router?

Does daughter's PC have wi-fi capability?

  STREETWORK 20:55 12 Jan 2007

You have a choice...

1. Get a wireless modem/router and an adapter for the daughters PC and connect wirelessly.

2. Use a cross over cable to connect daughters PC to the main PC through an ethernet card...

  trish123 21:04 12 Jan 2007

sorry about the punctuation.
yep i bought a wireless router and theusb adapter.The boy in the shop told us to take the lead from the modem into the router,then thelead from router to pc.The cable does not fit into the socket on back of the pc tower.Am i doing it wrong?

  Chaz10 22:15 12 Jan 2007

You may need a network card

About £10 from pcworld

  Dipso 22:26 12 Jan 2007

Is this cable broadband or via a BT phone line?

Do you have a USB modem and have bought a separate router. If the answer above is via a BT line you may need a combined modem/router rather than separates but as Chaz10 says you will need an ethernet connection on your PC like this click here

  trish123 22:34 12 Jan 2007

ITS cable broadband.I have a modem that has a usb port and ethernet but it connects to my tower through the usb port as the erthnet cable does not fit. So i guess i need to get a modem /router then. I do have a Ethernet Port at the back of the tower but its very small so the Ethernet cable cant fit into it

  Chaz10 22:44 12 Jan 2007

No, what you have on your computer is an internal modem and a rj45 cable will not fit, you need a network card.

  trish123 23:05 12 Jan 2007

The guy in pc world told me if i bought the usb adapter which i did then i woul not need the network card.Where do i put the network card?

  Dipso 23:25 12 Jan 2007

OK you don't need to buy another modem/router but you will need to connect to the modem to the router by the ethernet cable rather than USB and an ethernet card to connect the router to your PC.

The guy at PC World should have explained that you need to connect the router to the PC first via ethernet. The USB adapter I presume is for your daughter to connect wirelessly.

The network card needs to be installed into your PC in one of the PCI slots...sounds v.complicated but really isn't that difficult. You just need to open the case and slot it in, secure it with the screws provided and unless it needs drivers that should be it.

  woodchip 23:32 12 Jan 2007

Sounds like the PC only as a Dial-Up modem socket. As above you need a Ethernet card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 9 Lite review

How Social Media has Propelled Political Graphic Design and Art in the Last Decade

The best kids apps for iPhone & iPad 2018

HomePod d’Apple : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique