Help with Codex

Salut 09:26 12 Mar 2012
Answered

I have a Toshiba Netbook (NB305)and am having trouble getting video clips to play through Open Office impress. I have VLC media player through which the video clip plays OK. When I try to insert the video clip OO impress states 'Format not recognized'. I have converted the video into MP4 format and still cannot get it to play through impress. A little while ago the suggestion was made that the codex file needed up dating. I have downloaded K-Lite, yet, the problem persists.

The Netbook runs Windows 7 starter. There may be something that is obvious to others that I am missing: any help would be appreciated.

rdave13 10:25 12 Mar 2012
Answer

I don't use OO but found this. It might help and is a PDF document,

http://www.tcaps.net/Portals/0/technology/training_docs/OpenOffice/ImpressVideo.pdf

Salut 12:01 12 Mar 2012

rdave13, thanks for pdf. Whilst the note is helpful I still cannot get the video to play: really frustrating as the video plays OK on the desktop.

Woolwell 12:07 12 Mar 2012
  Ian in Northampton 16:41 12 Mar 2012

Just fyi - it's 'codec', plural 'codecs'. 'Codec' is a contraction of coder/decoder. (Or compressor/decompressor - opinions vary...) But it's an algorithm that's applied to video to reduce file size while trying to maintain quality - and then a corresponding algorithm at the other end to unravel the coded/compressed file into something you can watch.

Salut 09:20 13 Mar 2012

Hmm. Thanks for the link Woolwell (and the correction Ian). Still no joy I'm sorry to say. What seems strange is that using OO impress on the desktop I have no problems at all in running a video which is why I am a little confused as to why it wont run it on the Netbook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?