Help with changing a Hard Drive please

uskfisherman 14:49 30 Dec 2005

I have a second PC and wish to change the 10 gig Maxtor DR for anothe Maxtor 20 gig with all my progs on. This is something I have done before without any problems. This time however the ppc will boot up but will not load windows. I get the usual long message apologising for this. Where have I gone wrong this time please..what have I overlooked.help help help.

BurrWalnut 15:46 30 Dec 2005

You can't expect an OS installed on one PC to boot up on a different one as the motherboards are probably different.

If you're using XP, you could try a repair :-

Boot from the WinXP CD (in the BIOS boot sequence put the CD drive ahead of the HDD). When the first message comes up, choose “To set up WinXP” not “R for recovery console”. Windows will eventually recognise that XP is installed and ask what you want to do, press R to repair and follow the instructions except after rebooting don’t reply to the message “Press any key to boot from CD”, just wait.

Your personal data and non-Windows programs (with a few exceptions) will not be affected. You will have to install all Windows updates that are not on the CD, e.g. SP2 plus about 40 fixes.

uskfisherman 19:38 30 Dec 2005

Thank you BWalnut I had come to the conclusion that the motherboard was connected to the problem. I will study the solution you offer and perhaps have a go over the week end. Kind regards.

uskfisherman 19:38 30 Dec 2005

Thank you BWalnut I had come to the conclusion that the motherboard was connected to the problem. I will study the solution you offer and perhaps have a go over the week end. Kind regards.

BurrWalnut 20:02 30 Dec 2005

Be aware that a repair won't necessarily work 100% as you may need the mobo/chipset drivers.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)