Help - Can't connect to the internet

lisalab1 19:10 30 Oct 2010

I been having problems with the AVG 2011 security with my computer which kept on giving error messages that I have to reinstall it (im not sure if it is because I have windows xp. I tried to downgrade to AVG 9.0 but my computer doesn't like it and AVG 2011 is still there showing Linkscanner only. Now I have both of them with Linkscanner and no antivirus which my zonealarm and window security keeps poping up.

Now I cannot get access to the internet with my router "edimax AR-7084gA Wireless". When I click on "setup utlility" it says "call to GetAdapterInfo failed" I have reset the router but I am getting the same message. I just want to reset the AVG but they both want internet access. What can I do to correct this?

birdface 19:37 30 Oct 2010

Try this posted by Vog on another thread.

Try deleting the Zone Alarm toolbar the re-installing AVG

birdface 19:40 30 Oct 2010

Maybe remove both from add remove then download the latest version again.

northumbria61 19:43 30 Oct 2010

See here - click here

lisalab1 19:54 30 Oct 2010

I would like to reinstall any of them but at the moment I cannot get on the internet because of the error message I am getting from my router (in my previous message). I need to get on the internet to complete the AVG installation.

My line for the internet is working and I have connected the modem by Ethernet to the computer and the lights are not blinking so there is access but its looking for an adapter.

ashdav 20:20 30 Oct 2010

You must have internet access as you are posting here.
Download the programs and put them on a memory stick.

lisalab1 21:11 30 Oct 2010

Unfortunately you are wrong. Im using my friend/neighbour laptop which she has only has a mobile broadband. I have tried to use the mobile broadband on my desktop on my computer but the installation plays up.

So personally I do not have the internet. I have tried still getting the same message "call to GetAdapterInfo failed" with my router.

ashdav 21:19 30 Oct 2010

No. I am right.
You just posted again.
Download the programs (on the computer you are using to get here) then put them on a memory stick to transfer them to your computer.

birdface 21:46 30 Oct 2010

Do a system restore to before you had the problems and see if that will work.

lisalab1 22:01 30 Oct 2010

I've tried retreiving the avg programs and tried installing it on my laptop buy it still wants internet access to complete the installation.

lisalab1 22:03 30 Oct 2010

Buteman - A system restore? Can you please explain if you can how I can do that on windows xp professional.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)