help buying a scanner

suburban train 17:19 13 Feb 2003

I need a scanner, all i will use it for is scanning documents using text bridge and scanning a few pics nothing fancy just been having a look at click here (DABS.COM)under quick links have a look this 22SRWS (type the code in the quick link) and tell me what you think
cheers

Diemmess 18:47 13 Feb 2003

Had difficulty following your link

My scanner is several years old now but following the reviews (and complaints) on this site, I see no reason why you should buy a "complete with bells and whistles" scanner but I would recommend a cheap one of the better known established brands. ........ Sooner or later the others tend to become difficult over driver updates and so on.

Lú-tzé 18:54 13 Feb 2003

Try any of the lower end Epson Perfection models - I have one and have used others and they are all excellent for the purpose you state. A good OCR program is as important as a good scanner.

recap 19:00 13 Feb 2003

A Lú-tzé says "A good OCR program is as important as a good scanner"

My scanner (at home) is around 4 years old but the software has been updated and works fine.

Stokey 19:52 13 Feb 2003

I really think that within a given price bracket most scanners perform pretty similarly.

shifty 19:56 13 Feb 2003

Recently purchased a canon scanner which came with all the necessary software including ominpage pro. Easy to set up and use giving quality scans on print and photo's. One bonus it didn't need a seperate power supply as it takes it supply from the usb connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?