Help!!!

Lord_Anubis 19:24 08 May 2003

Hi
I've just experienced a sever bout of what XP describes as severe errors (Bsods). For the bast week my HD has been making funny noises and then windows crashes (to a blue screen that says something to the effect 'wwindows has encountered an error and has shut down to prevent damage to hardware'This could the the result of faulty software and hardware installation'

Today this culminated in a very strange reboot in which a menu asking where to boot from (one i've never seen before) appeared after some highly technical stuff i didn't care to take down.

In summary does anyone have any idea whether this is hardware or software related (given my HD is making sounds and that i cant think of any peice of software that has been running at such times that could have caused it)

p.s. The last two of these 'serious' errors has occured when i try to change my wallpaper :S

Thanks

Legolas 19:28 08 May 2003

I had something similar when trying to reinstall XP after a format it turned out to be a faulty stick of memory. See that all your expansion cards are properly seated and also your memory. If you can try changing the memory about.

graham√ 19:30 08 May 2003

Please ensure that your thread title accurately describes your subject

Lord_Anubis 08:44 09 May 2003

Solved it (well not exactly, I've diagnosed it), it was my HD, its completely crashed and i'm having trubs staying online at the mo without it going down again. Thanks for trying anyway.

:'(

-pops- 09:05 09 May 2003

Not wishing to state the obvious but there was an overwhelming clue as to the cause of the problem in you first paragraph:-
"For the bast week my HD has been making funny noises and then windows crashes (to a blue screen that says something to the effect 'wwindows has encountered an error and has shut down to prevent damage to hardware'This could the the result of faulty software and hardware installation'" Especially the part about the HD making funny noises. This alone (without BSODs or error messages) would have raised my suspicions that there was something severely wrong and prompted me to make contingency measures such as a full backup (in case I didn't have one but which I do have) before the inevitable happened.

expertec 15:02 09 May 2003

You still got Kazaa on your computer?

Lord_Anubis 16:29 09 May 2003

First off, i was pretty sure it was my hard drive, however cince its a laptop and everythings pretty close together it was impossible to be sure if it was the HD making the noise. (I mearly wanted confirmation or alternative diagnosis).
Secondly I do (rather did) still have kazaa on my computer, ikts all rather academic now since I've contacted the manufacturer for them to pick up and repair.

Thanks for replying?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?