HDD queries

[email protected] 17:40 16 Jan 2006

I currently have HDD IDE fitted. I would like to add another HDD but SATA. Can two different HDD'S be run at the same time and is the cabling/connections the same?

[email protected] 18:18 16 Jan 2006

Hi DieSse. Situation is this: I am upgrading [more like re-building]. I am changing my A7N8X mobo for A8N-SLI, together with a new CPU socket 939. I am really worried about losing data and a bit stunned by all the preparation necessary (as advised by different forums) - backup discs, installation discs, BIOS flash floppies etc etc. My secondary PC has only a small HDD so I thought about buying another HDD to do my re-build on then any problems and I lose nothing. When all is well ;-), the 2nd HDD can go over to the secondary PC. I have been advised that SATA is better for performance and although both mobo's in question support SATA I am not certain the one "in situ" is wired as such? * are IDE and SATA two completely different HDD's or just the data transfer between? What I mean is can one HDD be both but wired in a different way? Sorry if this sounds a bit dumb but I really thought when I bought these components one just had to be careful how your installed them...Wrong...I now find myself several steps up the learning curve and more than a bit cautious ( for cautious read scared).

[email protected] 18:25 16 Jan 2006

Just a bit more. From my A7N8X manual is see I have "2 IDE Connectors (UltraDMA133/100/66 Support" and "Serial ATA Headers". From this can I deduce this is where the HDD makes contact with the mobo depending on the type?

[email protected] 19:18 16 Jan 2006

OK, I think I have the understanding now - thanks. One last bit of advice if you can - external HDD's: They can be formatted and used exactly like an internal HDD provided you change the boot order in BIOS?

[email protected] 19:26 16 Jan 2006

Right on. Thanks very much for the advice ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf