HDD problems....completely boggeled

ikle_pixie 13:49 17 Jul 2005

Right, my last hdd died on me so i bought a new one, only for that to be taken over by a virus as well. (not doing to well at the moment!). I decided to format my pc when windows 2k would no longer boot and i was unable to either go into safe mode or boot from cd.
So i attached it to my other old pc as a slave. when i eventually got to format it, the format program on the 2k disk was seeing it as a 30 odd gig drive when infact its 80. Also it has like 3 blocks that it said was unpartitioned space and one "unknown". It would only let me delete the unknown. So i carried on to see what would happen. When it was formatted and after it had done the reboot to continue with the setup, i had an error message saying it couldnt boot from it. When i plug it into my pc it says that NT file was missing, cant remember its full name but you'll know what i mean. But whats really wierd was that i plugged my brothers newly formatted hdd in and it started to boot, got to the 2k splash screen then i got a blue screen saying inaccessible disk, i know it works cus this is the hdd im using now. SO!..

- Have i got a dud HDD?
- Is there something wrong with something in my pc?
- What was all that unpartitioned stuff on about?
- Did my old pc only see 30 gig cus its too old
to see 80?
- Can someone help me??!?! PLEASE...im going insane.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:01 17 Jul 2005

Have i got a dud HDD? = No

Did my old pc only see 30 gig cus its too old to see 80? = yes bios may limit to 32G

What was all that unpartitioned stuff on about? = the remainder of the 80G drive.

NTLDR Missing
If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

Have you got the hard drive install formatted to 80g approx and win2k installed?

ikle_pixie 22:32 11 Aug 2005

Right, finally had time to look at hdd again

When you go onto Win 2000’s format screen I get:

Upartioned space 2351 mb
Upartioned space 24158 mb
C: unformatted or damaged 831050 mb
-- unknown 265613 mb

This time its on a pc new enough to see the whole 80gig...

the last 2 are deletable partitions

the drive is supposed to be

decided to see what would happen if I formatted the c: partion again…only had to option to format as NTFS. So thats what im doing at the moment.

So, when its finished and that hasn't worked, does anybody have any ideas of what to do next?

ikle_pixie 22:47 11 Aug 2005

right..update

finished format and istallation of windows 2k...goes to restarting pc to complete update goes past the bios, then nothing....blackness!

ikle_pixie 22:47 11 Aug 2005

right..update

finished format and istallation of windows 2k...goes to restarting pc to complete update goes past the bios, then nothing....blackness!

ikle_pixie 22:50 11 Aug 2005

when i plug it in as a slave and use another hdd to boot the hdd has winnit file on it.

i haven't got a clue what to do now!

woodchip 22:56 11 Aug 2005

You should use KillDisk, then reset Partitions and Format C: then start with 2000 disc run setup click here

ikle_pixie 23:22 11 Aug 2005

thanks woodchip...will give it a go now

ikle_pixie 23:53 11 Aug 2005

well so far so good. Now only correct partition shows up, but i dont understand why i can only format as NTFS and not given the FAT32 option...if this works though, im not complaining!

ikle_pixie 00:45 12 Aug 2005

well its working...so im happy

thanks woodchip!

woodchip 10:04 12 Aug 2005

Glad it sorted it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?