HDD keeps disconnecting from windows 10.

Ryan Harvey 18:13 19 Aug 2018

Hi,

I recently got an SSD but I keep my HDD for extra storage, I now boot windows 10 plus some games from the SSD but the HDD is used for games my SSD can't store. I have files on there I need access to right now, but I'm having a problem.

I noticed it a about a week ago, after installing a new win 10 update, the hdd would be accessible, but as soon as I tried to access it, it'd disconnect. The only way to get it back would be troubleshooting hardware & devices, but trying to access the hdd just disconnects it again. I'm really at my wits end here, I've no idea what to do next. I need the files on that HDD.

What i've tried:

SMART check (all ok) Crystal disk mark check (all good) Swapped the ports around with the SSD (computer booted still with the SSD so I know the SATA ports aren't the issue, or MOBO.) Disconnected all the SATA cables and put them all back in, Tried to install firmware for the hdd (but I can't, because windows doesn't detect the hdd at all, so the firmware software can't)

I'd appreciate some help. Thank you.

Jollyjohn 21:46 19 Aug 2018

Try downloading a Linux distro - burn to cd / dvd and boot from it. If you can see the HDD in Linux file manager, copy data to another drive. If the HDD drive is not visible, it would suggest HDD failure.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)