HDD - Can I Check 4 Probs

The Paul 16:40 04 Jan 2004

I think that my HDD is in trouble. I have been having probs for a while and this culminated in having to reofrmat and reinstall O/S. See previous thread. click here

I suspected CD drive but today I have had 4 crashes. Event Viewer states that they are to do with System Error - 1003 or Service Control Manager 7034 & 7035.

Could it be my HDD is on the blink and if so how can I check this before contacting the guy who built my system. Cheers - Paul

Chegs ® 20:43 04 Jan 2004

click here

Just incase your unable to use the zipped file I sent you,d/l the original here.

The Paul 21:47 04 Jan 2004

Got it this time - many thanks. Test results were a pass but not top of the class.

Powerless - ran HDD tests -both quick test and long test. Both came back showing that my drive is fine.????

The Paul 22:15 04 Jan 2004

I must be the ultimate IT eegit. I have tried 5 times to download the prog that you linked me to and everytime I try to boot from the floppy disc - it either reports a fault or hangs the PC.

Apart from that - all other tests show that the system is OK?????

Where else can I look.

Chegs ® 22:21 04 Jan 2004

I got error messages indicating that my HDD was dying,ran a couple of "Read/Write" tests and they showed my poorly HDD as clear.The only software that seemed to be having trouble with it was XP,but then when I tried to reinstall an image taken of this hdd,it also kept giving up errors.I gave up the struggles and replaced my IDE hdd,ran various tests on the "dead" hdd,and every once in a while,the test failed,or produced "dog slow" readings.I am not going to "trust" my poorly hdd to carry the OS,simply use it to store data(that can be replaced with ease)until it makes up its mind and either quits completely or ceases messing me about for a good length of time!

The Paul 22:28 04 Jan 2004

I kind of think you are right here. I'm going to have a chat with the guy who built the system and probably end up paying for a new HDD which I will use for the O/S and use the old drive for back ups.

I'll tick this as resolved as I dont think there is much more we can do.

Thanks everyone. Paul

DieSse 22:46 04 Jan 2004

Look in your BIOS - and look for the item "Quick Power On Test". If it's Enabled, then Disable it - This will run a longer RAM test when you power up, and sometimes shows up faulty RAM right there and then.

I had a system just like this recently - pass the quick test, but the system kept screwing up - enabled the longer test and it threw up a RAM failure right away.

It's not perfect, but it's better than no test at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)