HD v dead! Data retrieval in the Midlands?

Alastair05 15:51 25 Nov 2016

Hi, after 20 years as a graphic designer without and real mac problems 2 weeks ago my HD flashed twice and disappeared forever!! Took my old 2007 iMac to Western Computers in Leamington Spa for help. They were very professional and installed a new SSD for me but they couldn't get any of the data from the broken drive. They recommended another outfit but their reviews on-line were awful. When you then look in to data retrieval companies it is like a minefield of underhand crooks who will hold you to ransom if they can get any data back. Does anybody know of a company in the Midlands who are trustworthy and won't charge me £500 to get my data back? Thanks!

Jollyjohn 15:13 26 Nov 2016

I have used this company in the past click here I know they are in Cardiff, not the Midlands, I live in Perth.

They will only charge for what they recover, in my case I didn't need the music on the drive and so it halved the recovery cost.

Burn-it 17:42 26 Nov 2016

There's one or used to be, in an industrial estate just outside Tamworth. I think they are on the web.

Burn-it 17:44 26 Nov 2016

Look up Disklabs or just "data recovery tamworth".

lotvic 18:31 26 Nov 2016

Yeah, mostly it's the physical mechanism that's kaput, if so to read and rescue data they can take it apart and do a temp mend or take out the shiny round disk and put it in another bit of their kit. Here's some youtube vids of interest click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Climate change, War and #MeToo: 'Ugly Truth' Christmas jumpers show the dark side to modern life

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?