Having problems with all Browsers.

Govan1x 08:29 03 Jan 2017

Firefox.I/E and Edge. I can open some programs on them bust most I get different warnings of this page cannot be displayed. make sure web address is correct which it is.

Now that is happening on all 3 browsers with different warnings.

This is a brand new laptop but must have a bug in it somewhere.

I have tried refreshing Firefox with no luck anyone got any idea as to what I should try next.

Anyone know how to reset the host file on W10.

rdave13 09:27 03 Jan 2017

bleeping computer reset hosts file should help. Although as it's a new laptop I would be tempted to use the recovery media you made and set to factory reset and start again. Once up and running try using just Defender and Windows firewall for now. If you have MBAM pro I would also run that. Run it like that for a while to see how it goes then add your other security software one at a time. Just thinking it may be security program issue.

Govan1x 09:41 03 Jan 2017

Ok just found this before it said page disabled on I/E.

res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm

Thanks rdave13 will have a look at that shortly but may have to go and see if I can fix the car first. not a great start to the new year.

Archonar 10:02 03 Jan 2017

What antivirus is the laptop running?

wee eddie 10:06 03 Jan 2017

Possibly a misunderstanding of what a Web Browser does?

Govan1x 13:47 03 Jan 2017

Using Eset smart security.

Forum Editor 14:16 03 Jan 2017

"I can open some programs on them"

You don't open programs on web browsers. I think there's some confusion here.

"This is a brand new laptop but must have a bug in it somewhere."

Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Have you altered any of the settings in Windows 10 since you acquired the computer?

Govan1x 14:45 03 Jan 2017

rdave13 Could not open your click here so using my desktop. my host file was the exact same as that so it must be ok. So not that problem.

I was going to do a factory reset but cannot seem to be able to find it since the last big update.

I still have Windows old but the recovery folder is empty.

( I would be tempted to use the recovery media you made ) unfortunately I was having so many problems that I never had time to do it. Does that mean I have no factory restore on my laptop. Nothing shows. It may have been there before the last update I cant remember.

Forum Editor 14:58 03 Jan 2017

"Does that mean I have no factory restore on my laptop. Nothing shows. It may have been there before the last update I cant remember."

The factory restore files are normally in a hidden partition on your hard drive, and they are unaffected by Windows updates - the whole idea is to return your machine to its factory state.

The restore partition is accessed using the restore disk that is either supplied with the computer, or is made by you, as soon as you get the machine.

Have you tried using a Windows restore point - one would have been created fairly soon after you started using the laptop?

rdave13 15:03 03 Jan 2017

Govan1x, just wondering that it could be the running of two firewalls that might be your problem. On another thread you seemed to be getting errors updating windows and that you had to enable the windows firewall to solve your problem.

You should still have the manufacturers 'create a restore medium' manager somewhere?

Might be worth removing Eset , with their own tool if they have one, just to see if Win 10 runs better with Defender and win firewall. At least then we can eliminate what could be a potential problem.

rdave13 15:11 03 Jan 2017

PS should have added to make sure you copy the licence key for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

George Bletsis' illustrations capture character and chaos with an effortless touch

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment supprimer son historique Netflix ?