have to use "run as- - " in xp

TBH1 21:13 18 Apr 2003

a friend of mineis running Windows xp and has recently been experiencing problems ; I use W98se so am of very little help.

When running all programs, whether from a short cut or not, except Internet Explorer, she gets the message : -
"Windows cannot find 'C:\program Files\etc. . \etc. . Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.To search for a file click the start button then click search"

The relevent exe file is where its saying it cannot find it - - but when clicking on it the above message appears again.
However, these programs can be run by right-clicking the file ( or short cut) and selectin "run as" - - -and use the default user name.
Any ideas please ???? This has been happening for the past month or so.

MAJ 21:16 18 Apr 2003

I would run an up to date virus scanner first, TBH1, there are viruses than can remove access to exe files.

TBH1 21:34 18 Apr 2003

Maj - -thanks for this - - -spooky enough she reckons this started happening after loading anti-virus software on this.

TBH1 22:51 18 Apr 2003

right, just scanned whole system with fresh version of AVG - - -found 20 files (yes, 20 !!!! :-( ), deleted them OK but problem still exists. More ideas - - - -

User-312386 23:03 18 Apr 2003

has he tried running the programmes in "compatibilty mode"

To do that, right click on desktop, select properties, then the compatibily tab.

Now tick the box that says"run in compatibilty mode for" and select either windows 98 or 95

what are the programmes that will not run?

User-312386 23:03 18 Apr 2003

has she tried running the programmes in "compatibilty mode"

To do that, right click on desktop, select properties, then the compatibily tab.

Now tick the box that says"run in compatibilty mode for" and select either windows 98 or 95

what are the programmes that will not run?

MAJ 23:06 18 Apr 2003

Or, after deleting all those files, try a repai of XP. click here

MAJ 23:07 18 Apr 2003

repai = repair

TBH1 01:10 19 Apr 2003

madboy33 - am back home right now but have past this link on to her - - - fingers crossed
MAJ - - is this repair straight forward ? Could I ask her to do this or maybe I should go back over there - though as I run W98, she is probably gonna know more than I about XP.

Maybe your system had been lost the execute files. You can extrat the *.cab file form window98 setup disk to specific location.
>>Start>>Run
In command line key in:
extrat /a [starting cab file] c:\[Location]

sparkly_devil 10:53 19 Apr 2003

madboy33™ - this is happening to me too. i am having to use "run as" to get into my programs as well. i tried taking the your advice, but when i clike on properties, the same error message pops up. any more suggestions???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?