Have lost all permissions on C druve

wescliff 00:07 28 Aug 2018

I can access the drive and install programs, but if I try to delete or move anything I get the following message: Windows security Can't open access control editor. The activation requires a display name to be present under the CLSID key. There is no error code. I cannot change permissions anywhere. Anything in personal folders (Docs, pictures etc) seems unaffected. I have a restore point from first thing Monday which I will try in the morning, but may not have permission to access the dialogue. Grateful for any help with fixing this.

simmotipo 13:12 28 Aug 2018

Hi,

I have never personally experienced this problem, nor do I know anyone who has, however I've done some research and there seems to be a number of possible causes, all of which more or less stem from an issue with the registry.

I don't know what OS you're using, but my research seemed to pull up all most exclusively issues relating to Win8 rather than Win10, so I assume you're on Win8?

A couple of issues suggested an AMD uninstall could be the issues, however I've ruled this out since it was due to a lack of Win8 support back in 2013, which I doubt would still be the case now.

Another suggestion is that CCleaner can corrupt the registry if you've used that?

The third thing I could find is a Windows Defender issue that when it detects a change to a certain .dll (I can't remember which off the top of my head), can cause this.

The only working solution was, ultimately, reinstall Windows, however I did find that some people said there is a workaround if you take the following steps to access, move and delete (etc.) files:

1) Run RegEdit (in some cases, people needed to do this in Safe Mode)

2) Goto "HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Policies\System"

3) Find a DWORD key named "EnableLUA" and set it to 0.

4) Reboot the machine.

Those steps fixed the problem with accessing files for most people, however prevents access to Windows 8 apps, and has its own security issues, however there is nothing stopping you from doing this, backing up all your data (just in case) and then reinstalling Windows.

Here are a couple of my sources: click here hope this helps.

href

I

wescliff 15:39 28 Aug 2018

Hi, thanks for the advice, the issue does seem to have been around for a while as my research has shown. I'm using Windows 10. I have a few ideas, but as you suggest I'm just going to bite the bullet and reinstall. Have got an ISO which will be a bit quicker than hitting the Reset button. Thanks again.

simmotipo 15:49 28 Aug 2018

No problem!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs